Back to Course List
Hypothermia and Frostbite
- Course Format
- Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
- Training Time ?
- 27 to 54 minutes
- Browsers Supported
- IE Desktop
- Required Plugins
- MasteryNet Player
- Closed Captioning
- Lesson Interactions
- Quiz Questions
- Product ID
- Interactive Producer
- Mastery Technologies, Inc.
- Original Content Producer
- ICON Training Materials of Iowa, Inc.
Online Hypothermia Training
This training thoroughly covers everything employees need to know about the dangers of hypothermia and frostbite and how to avoid them. Learners will be able to plan, prepare and protect themselves against whatever weather comes their way.
- Rich multimedia presentation with interactions and quiz
- Print certificate and wallet card
- You have 60 days to complete the course
- CEUs awarded
Anyone who works outside in cold weather.
The course presents the following topical areas:
- Defining hypothermia
- Mild hypothermia
- Moderate hypothermia
- Severe hypothermia
- Losing body heat
- Wearing the right protective clothing
- Choosing the right fabric
- Immediate actions to take
- Safe types of fluids
- Safe foods
- Treating others
- Recognizing frostbite
- Treating frostbite
Your Best Defense
- Being prepared
Intended Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this course you will be better prepared to:
Recognize the meaning of hypothermia, its signs and symptoms.
- Identify weather conditions when most hypothermia happens.
- Define Hypothermia.
- Identify conditions of mild hypothermia.
- List conditions of moderate hypothermia.
- Select the number of degrees the body temperature drops when severe hypothermia occurs.
Dress properly to prevent hypothermia.
- Agree that exposed moist skin loses more heat than exposed dry skin.
- Recognize that wearing clothing which is too warm creates perspiration which can actually speed heat loss.
- Select fabrics that help prevent hypothermia.
- Choose the most protective type of rain gear.
- Name the type of fabrics that can best trap air and resist dampness.
- Name parts of the body that lose heat most quickly.
- Explain what happens when wet clothes combine with wind.
Properly treat hypothermia.
- List immediate actions to take if experiencing symptoms of hypotherm
- Identify safe types of fluids to consume if experiencing symptoms of hypothermia.
- Select safe foods to eat if experiencing symptoms of hypothermia.
- List actions to take if someone you are with is experiencing hypothermia.
Recognize and properly treat frostbite.
- Explain how frostbite occurs.
- Recognize that frostbite victims often feel no pain.
- Differentiate between superficial and deep frostbite.
- List treatment for frostbite victims.